Innovative product design requires ongoing research into new materials and technology that can transform ideas into functional prototypes. Thick film may be the ideal heating solution to overcome product design challenges encountered when using traditional heating methods. Despite its advantages, many product designers are unfamiliar with the benefits of thick film heating.
What is Thick Film Heating?
Unlike conventional heating elements that must be physically attached to or glued on to various substrates, thick film can be printed directly on substrates including aluminum, steel, mica, and glass. This provides product designers with the flexibility to create higher performance custom solutions.
Click here to view a short video and learn about thick-film heating.
Key Benefits of Thick Film Heaters:
- Rapid heat-up and thermal cycling
- Uniform and reliable heat distribution
- Low energy consumption
- Low profile – ideal in small compact products
- Up to 10x higher Watt Density of other heating options
- Suitable for portable battery-powered applications
- Compatible with wide range of substrates
What Applications is Thick Film Ideal for?
Thick film heaters are ideal for a variety of applications that include but are not limited to:
- Food Holding cabinets, food display shelves, and drawers
- Automotive devices such as battery warmers and cabin heaters
- Medical, laboratory, and testing devices
- Electronics such as LCD warmers and circuit board printers
- Appliances such as griddles, grills, and stove-top warmers
- Portable devices such as food delivery warmers
Why is Thick Film Useful for Product Designers?
- Compact and light: Since thick film is printed directly on substrates, it’s ideal for applications with space constraints. Substrates can be cut and shaped as per design requirements.
- Energy-saving: Improve energy efficiency by reducing losses during thermal transfer.
- Broad range of applications: Print on a wide range of flat substrates including aluminum, steel, mica, and glass
Click here to discover the other benefits of thick film heaters
What Designers Should Look for in a Thick Film Heating Partner
- Engineering Support: Ensure your heating partner provides you access to technical staff who can work closely with you to develop your custom solution.
- Continuity: Your partner should be able to take you from product design and validation, to production.
- Thermal expertise: The development of an effective prototype requires thermal expertise. Ensure your heating partner has a strong and proven track record. For example, thermal simulation capability is a key advantage. It saves time and money.
- Validation: Ensure your partner can thoroughly test to validate the performance of the prototype.
Datec’s Ultimate Heating Comparison Guide
Download it Now!
Want to learn more about our custom thick film solutions? Download our Heating Technology Comparison PDF today to learn how Thick Film stacks up to the competition.
Datec’s thick-film heating solutions are ideal for applications that include commercial foodservice, medical devices, electronics, automotive, and appliances. From prototyping to joint development, learn more about how Datec can work with your team.
Working with Datec and their unique ability to print robust heating circuits and apply proprietary coating technologies provided us with a game-changing solution for two of our clients so far. They are a great, collaborative team to work with
We chose Datec because they had the best technology and were the most responsive partner for our new product development.
Want to Learn More About Our Custom Thick Film Solutions? Talk to Our Engineering Team!
Datec is a custom heating element manufacturer, specializing in patented thick film heating solutions for clients in the USA and Canada.
Our team of dedicated research scientists and engineers have led the industry for over 20 years creating heating solutions for industries that include food service, medical, commercial, industrial, and consumer goods.
Kapton® is a Registered Trademark of DuPont*