Innovative product design requires ongoing research into new materials and technology that can transform ideas into functional prototypes. Thick film may be the ideal heating solution to overcome product design challenges encountered when using traditional heating methods. Despite its advantages, many product designers are unfamiliar with the benefits of thick film heating.
What is Thick Film Heating?
Unlike conventional heating elements that must be physically attached to or glued on to various substrates, thick film can be printed directly on substrates including aluminum, steel, mica, and glass. This provides product designers with the flexibility to create higher performance custom solutions.
Click here to view a short video and learn about thick-film heating.
Key Benefits of Thick Film Heaters:
- Rapid heat-up and thermal cycling
- Uniform and reliable heat distribution
- Low energy consumption
- Low profile – ideal in small compact products
- Up to 10x higher Watt Density of other heating options
- Suitable for portable battery-powered applications
- Compatible with wide range of substrates
What Applications is Thick Film Ideal for?
Thick film heaters are ideal for a variety of applications that include but are not limited to:
- Food Holding cabinets, food display shelves, and drawers
- Automotive devices such as battery warmers and cabin heaters
- Medical, laboratory, and testing devices
- Electronics such as LCD warmers and circuit board printers
- Appliances such as griddles, grills, and stove-top warmers
- Portable devices such as food delivery warmers
Why is Thick Film Useful for Product Designers?
- Compact and light: Since thick film is printed directly on substrates, it’s ideal for applications with space constraints. Substrates can be cut and shaped as per design requirements.
- Energy-saving: Improve energy efficiency by reducing losses during thermal transfer.
- Broad range of applications: Print on a wide range of flat substrates including aluminum, steel, mica, and glass
What Designers Should Look for in a Thick Film Heating Partner
- Engineering Support: Ensure your heating partner provides you access to technical staff who can work closely with you to develop your custom solution.
- Continuity: Your partner should be able to take you from product design and validation, to production.
- Thermal expertise: The development of an effective prototype requires thermal expertise. Ensure your heating partner has a strong and proven track record. For example, thermal simulation capability is a key advantage. It saves time and money.
- Validation: Ensure your partner can thoroughly test to validate the performance of the prototype.
Datec’s Ultimate Heating Comparison Guide
Datec’s thick-film heating solutions are ideal for applications that include commercial foodservice, medical devices, electronics, automotive, and appliances. From prototyping to joint development, learn more about how Datec can work with your team.
About Dominic Talalla, P.Eng, MBADominic Talalla is the President and CEO of Datec. In this role, Dominic oversees the overall performance and operation of Datec. He is responsible for managing partnership relationships, strategizing and communicating with stakeholders, and leading the Datec team in achieving their objectives. Dominic is a professional engineer and holds a Master of Business Administration. Dominic is also a Managing Partner with Trellis Capital, a venture capital firm based in Toronto. His extensive technology management and investor experience makes him uniquely qualified for his role. In his free time, Dominic is fond of travel and an avid sports team coach.
- Thick Film Heaters Can Power Your Industrial Design - January 9, 2020
- Season’s Greetings from Datec Coating - December 17, 2019
- Modernizing the Food Industry with Thick Film and Glass Heating - September 25, 2019
- Highlights from the 2019 NAFEM Show - February 26, 2019
- Featured Solution: Portable Cancer Treatment Device for Underdeveloped Countries - January 17, 2019
- Season’s Greetings from Datec Coating - December 17, 2018
- Will Parts Manufacturing and Research into New Technology Save the Canadian Automotive Industry? - December 6, 2018
- Global Heating and Controls Manufacturer, E.G.O.- Group Makes Strategic Investment in Datec Coating Corporation - October 30, 2018
- Welcome to Our New Website! - October 1, 2018
- Datec Heats Up Thick Film in Green Cars - July 20, 2017
Working with Datec and their unique ability to print robust heating circuits and apply proprietary coating technologies provided us with a game-changing solution for two of our clients so far. They are a great, collaborative team to work with
We chose Datec because they had the best technology and were the most responsive partner for our new product development.
Want to Learn More About Our Custom Thick Film Solutions? Talk to Our Engineering Team!
Datec is a Canadian custom heating element manufacturer, specializing in our patented thick film heating solutions.
Our team of dedicated research scientists and engineers has lead the industry for over 20 years creating heating solutions for industries that include food service, medical, commercial, industrial, and consumer goods.
Kapton® is a Registered Trademark of DuPont*
Datec Coating Corporation
130 Matheson Blvd. E. Unit #2
Canada L4Z 1Y6
T: (905) 629-3779
F: (905) 629-2997